BANGKOK: — A leading public health official has given a stern warning to people thinking of eating toads – don’t!

The warning from Dr Opas Karnkawinphong comes after two men died from eating the creature this week, reported Daily News.

Dr Opas said that the creatures contain poison that has no known antidote or antivenin. Death can be as quick as 30 minutes.

Dr Opas, who heads up a department at the Public health ministry, said that there are just two or three such cases in Thailand each year.

This contrasts to about ten cases from puffer fish and many cases where people are poisoned by jellyfish.

Other leading causes of poisoning in Thailand result from ingesting poisonous mushrooms and children who consume soap to such a degree that it endangers their lives.